Helping people maintain or regain their quality of life – at home, at work and at play – is the primary goal of Canada’s chiropractors. Enhancing performance and preventing injuries from occurring in the first place is of equal importance. To get the best benefit from the health care system for patients, the CCA advocates for policies and practices that:
- Remove barriers to inter-professional referrals so Canadians can get the most appropriate care from the best qualified provider at the lowest cost in a timely manner;
- Encourage health care providers to work in inter-disciplinary teams;
- Encourage inter-disciplinary research;
- Facilitate inter-disciplinary education.
We know how chiropractic care can help patients. Here’s how helping those patients helps Canada and the health care system:
- Wait times are reduced
- Back surgeries can often be avoided
- Emergency room crowding can be reduced
- Medication costs can be lowered
- People feel better more quickly
- Recurrent injury is prevented or minimized
- Productivity is improved
- Dysfunction is prevented
- Chronic care costs are minimized
- Workers are back on the job quicker
Encouraging Healthy Lifestyles
The promotion of healthy lifestyles is an important objective of chiropractic care. As primary health care providers, the chiropractic profession supports public health promotion and prevention strategies that encourage physical and mental health and well-being, such as programs that address smoking cessation, obesity, physical activity and nutrition.
The Canadian Chiropractic Association recognizes that good health requires more than good health care and supports national public policies and initiatives that address the socio-economic determinants of health such as early childhood development, poverty, education and safe, affordable communities.
> Fit-in 15 – Start a fitness habit with 15 minutes a day
> Back Health
> Best Foot Forward – Learn how to prevent falls